OSLO: The Norwegian Nobel Committee said on Thursday that China bears a “heavy responsibility” for the “premature” death+ of 2010 Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo.
Pieter Terpstra
2017-07-14 04:14:43 UTC
The Times of India, 13 June 2017

OSLO: The Norwegian Nobel Committee said on Thursday that China bears a “heavy responsibility” for the
“premature” death+ of 2010 Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo.

The prominent democracy advocate, 61, died+ while still in custody following a battle with cancer.

Officials ignored international pleas+ to let him spend his final days free and abroad. Germany and the US had
offered to take him in for treatment.

“We find it deeply disturbing that Liu Xiaobo was not transferred to a facility where he could receive adequate
medical treatment before he became terminally ill+,” Berit Reiss-Andersen, who chairs the Norwegian Nobel
Committee, said in a statement.

“The Chinese government bears heavy responsibility for his premature death.”

Liu was transferred from prison to a heavily guarded hospital+ to be treated for late-stage liver cancer more than a
month ago.

He became the first Nobel Peace laureate to die in custody since German pacifist Carl von Ossietzky, who passed
away in a hospital while held by the Nazis in 1938.

Liu was not able to attend the award ceremony in Oslo in 2010 as he was already serving an 11-year prison sentence
for allegedly “attempting to undermine political order”.

The former head of the Nobel committee placed that year’s peace prize on an empty chair to honour Liu.

“We now have to come to terms with the fact that his chair will forever remain empty,” Reiss-Andersen added.

“At the same time it is our deep conviction that Liu Xiaobo will remain a powerful symbol for all who fight for
freedom, democracy and a better world.”

http://tinyurl.com/y94vtyrq
Resty Wyse
2017-07-14 04:27:50 UTC
Post by Pieter Terpstra
[...]
These people died of cancer in the U.S.
Did anyone accuse the U.S. government bears heavy responsibility for their premature death?

Jackie Kennedy
Steve Jobs
Patrick Swayze. Aug. 18, 1952 - Sept. ...
Paul Newman. Jan. 26, 1925 - Sept. ...
Peter Jennings. July 29, 1938 - Aug. 7, 2005. ...
Farrah Fawcett. Feb. 2, 1947 - June 25, 2009. ...
Ted Kennedy. Feb. 22, 1932 - Aug. ...
Michael Crichton. Oct. 23, 1942 - Nov. ...
Sydney Pollack. July 1, 1934 - May 26, 2008. ...
Tony Snow. June 1, 1955 - July 12, 2008.

13 Celebrities Who Died of Cancer
https://www.verywell.com/celebrities-who-died-of-cancer-4020414