Making Democracy Real-Wildly Expensive,Dubiously Effective Political Ad Machine
Add Reply
ltlee1
2024-10-16 00:14:29 UTC
"Inside Our Wildly Expensive, Dubiously Effective Political Ad Machine
Campaigns spend billions on ads that change outcomes by a few points, if
at all. Here’s where the money goes—and how it drives our political
parties.
..
It’s estimated that this election cycle will burn through $10.7 billion
on ads—a new record for our country and, quite likely, the world. For
comparison, that’s on par with Montana’s total state spending for the
fiscal year 2023.

When campaigns ask you for money, they typically list a variety of
expenses. Harris, in that ad she cut on July 19, mentioned hiring
organizers and staff and opening field offices. She didn’t say a word
about advertising, but the lion’s share of your money, north of 60 cents
on the dollar, will go to making and placing ads, primarily video spots,
which are the real big-ticket item within the industry. In a literal
sense, then, these videos are the main grist of all that data and cash
that drive modern American politics."

https://newrepublic.com/article/186735/inside-2024-political-ad-machine-expensive-dubious
ltlee1
2024-10-17 15:45:20 UTC
"Campaigns spend billions on ads that change outcomes by a few points,
if
at all."

Spend billions on ads to change outcomes by a few points if at all means
tight election and voters with strongly held ideas concerning policies.

Are close races election cycle after election cycle mean better
democracy ?